Monday, June 08, 2009

Eating Less vs. Moving More















Based on intake and physical activity data, the increase in
the number of obese children is likely the result of a combination
of children and youth eating more calories than
they are using through daily physical activity. Weight gain
results when energy expenditure is consistently exceeded
by energy intake over time. Achieving energy balance is
important for children so that energy intake is equal to
energy expenditure while supporting normal growth and
development without promoting excessive weight gain.
Therefore both are important components in reversing the
obesity trend. More research is needed regarding their relative
contributions to weight gain and obesity prevention.

6 comments:

  1. Wow!! I really find everything on your page very interesting. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This doesn't surprise me. Kids nowadays play more video games, watch more TV, and consume more calories now than in the past. When I was a kid, computer gaming, video games, and TV weren't normal things for kids to do. We loved playing outside!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This doesn't surprise me either. My little brothers play so many computer and video games. I was always outside playing when I was their age. It's amazing how times have changed. We have a huge responsibility as parents to keep our kids active.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Heidi, parents have a huge responsibility in keeping children active. By making outside activities a family thing, children will look forward to spending time together. Exercise can be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope parents learn this and approach the issue by providing healthier options and getting their kids outside playing - and not through food restriction and harsh rules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm working on a group project about adolescent obesity in Utah. It amazes me how much nutrition has been overlooked. Utah is doing really well at teens having physical activity but the numbers of youth who eat 5 veggies and fruits a day are steadly decreasing. Having better food available is a great way to help and is very important.

    ReplyDelete